Thursday, February 1, 2007

1.5 centimeters closer...

Well, we’re 1.5 centimeters closer to becoming parents….whatever that means! I have to start by saying that even after 8+ months it hasn’t completely sunken in that I’m about to be a Dad. A DAD! Responsible for another life! Feeding another mouth!

We had a great doctor’s appointment yesterday. The doc said, “Congratulations, you’re 1.5 centimeters dilated.” Without flinching I quickly blurted out, “What does that mean!?” You’d think after 20+ hours of baby prep classes and thumbing through every “Having a Baby for Dummies” type of book that’s in circulation in the Hamilton County Library system that I should know what being 1.5 centimeters dilated is supposed to mean.
Wait a minute. Can I even write about this? Are topics such as “dilation” taboo in blogs?

Speaking of baby classes, Liz and I had our last class last night; “Save a Baby.” We are now experts in baby and child CPR and the Heimlich maneuver. Hopefully we’ll never need to use these skills. At the end of our last class we were waiting for them to give us some sort of license or documentation certifying us that we were officially ready to become parents. Is anyone ever really ready!?

I must say that, although potentially naive, I am extremely excited to become a father!

Nick

1 comment:

Lane said...

Well, 1.5 cm!!! Hmmm, we have no idea what it means either and we have three kids! Sometimes the best things in life are supposed to be mysterious I guess.
Get lots of sleep is the only advice we can offer.
We been parents for 18+ years and we STILL have not found the manual!!
Anyhow, keep cool, enjoy the experience, (it really is the ultimate rush) and good luck.
Lane and Teri